Friday, February 5, 2010

Feel Good Fridays: Superbowl Edition

So, I don't follow football.

Firstly, because I live in Canada. Secondly, because I think it's a stupid sport. Thirdly, because I have been indoctrinated to prefer hockey. Fourthly, because...I think it's a stupid sport. (I never pretended my reasons were complex.)

And when I heard about the pro-life ad for Focus on the Family that is supposed to air during the Superbowl, that gave me one more reason to avoid the Superbowl and one more reason to actively hate football. The ad features NFL player Tim Tebow and his mother, Pam, who was advised to terminate her 5th pregnancy due to medical complications. She carried her baby to term, and the result was little Tim. For a more insightful analysis of the ad, check out Latoya at Jezebel.

And THEN, I heard about a response ad from Planned Parenthood, featuring two other NFL players who I don't know because I don't follow football but who really seem like great dudes. Their emphasis: celebrate families by trusting women. (Good idea!) Here's the ad.

Also, Scott Fujita (a linebacker for the New Orleans Saints) has spoken out in favour of gay marriage, pro-choice, and in favour of general awesomess. This guy sounds pretty damn cool.

Now, lest I be accused of hatin' on free speech (although this blog isn't popular at all, so trolls aren't an issue), let it be heard that I'm fine with Tim Tebow being pro-life/anti-choice, whatever you want to call it. And I am even fine (sort of) with this ad. The thing I hate about it is not the ideological stance, but the hypocrisy.

Pam Tebow had the choice to erminate her pregnancy, and she didn't. Because that was the choice that was right for her. But now she doesn't want other women to have that option.

Let me know what you think.

Peace,
Steph

1 comment:

  1. Heh, I think a lot of pro-choice/anti-life people had to wipe the egg off their faces after the ad aired. Didn't mention abortion once. If anything, it was just an ad promoting Tebow's foundation, which is many things in addition to pro-life advocacy.

    ReplyDelete