Wednesday, February 17, 2010

An Observation

So, the other day, I was in the mall. I do not like the mall, because I do not like shopping, but societal convention dictates that I must wear clothes, so from time to time I find myself there.

I was browsing in the Gap (I know, I know) when the labelling of their jean line caught my eye. Stores do this super annoying thing where they give cutesy little names to different styles of jeans (low rise, skinny leg jeans are "Morgans" at one store, for example. Heaven knows why.)

It occured to me that the way Gap labels their jeans is pretty much a microcosm of the way Western society expects women and men to act.

Names for the women's jean line include: Always Skinny; Sexy Boot; Curvy; Long and Lean; Boyfriend Jeans; Perfect Boot. Names for the men's jean line include: Easy; Straight; Loose; Authentic.

Women must be hot. Men must be heterosexual and hypersexual. Buy our clothes.

--Steph

1 comment:

  1. hahahahha. good observation.

    Also, something I learned in post-modernism class the other day.....

    did you know that abercrombie and fitch had a top-selling [girls] tshrt that, across the chest, read "Who needs brains when you've got these?"

    ReplyDelete