Friday, March 12, 2010

Are you serious?

So. It's come to this, Mississipi.

You would rather cancel a high school prom than let a lesbian member of the graduating class bring her girlfriend as her date? You think that it's more important to prevent 18 year old Constance McMillen from wearing a tuxedo than it is to allow the coming-of-age ritual that is prom in North America?

This is so ridiculous on so many levels that I can barely muster an articulate and incisive commentary.

What's really the final straw for me is the douchehat fellow graduate who told Constance: "Thanks for ruining my senior year."

OMFG. GET OVER YOURSELF. Would you like to live with systematic discrimination for your entire lifetime, you uber-douche? No. So stop with your little self-pity parade about your prom being ruined. Ergh.

-Steph

1 comment:

  1. I know this isn't the first time something like this has happened, but I've been very passionate about this particular case (I've been tweeting and tumbling about it, and you probably saw me on facebook). I think it's a combination of 1) the culmination of all those other similar cases, 2) the fact that there is, once again, a particular face that we can put to this discrimination, and 3) the fact that she is being seen as the "cause" for prom to be cancelled in the Bible Belt, and she must be getting so much shit from her peers. I mean, I remember how much I hated high school and I was a straight kid in a liberal environment.

    I'm glad this is getting the type of attention it is. I'm glad she is going on every media outlet possible and her facebook group has 140,000 members and counting because i can see some real change for the good coming out of this (although i'm sad it has to come out at this girl's expense) but really, I'm glad so many people are showing support for this girl's case.

    You can contact the school's superintendent, Teresa Martin McNeece:
    tmcneece@itawamba.k12.ms.us

    You can give Constance words of encouragement here and donate to the ACLU:
    https://secure.aclu.org/site/SPageServer?pagename=Constance_Prom_Letter&s_src=UNW100001ACT&s_subsrc=031210_acluonline&JServSessionIdr004=smjj99mjo3.app217a

    ReplyDelete