With hopes that 2010 will be even better, I will provide you, in no particular order, with some good news and some fun pictures from '09:
1) The United Kingdom upheld a woman's right to a safe abortion.
2) Need I say more?
3) The High Court of Delhi, India, repealed Penal Code 377, which rendered consensual homosexual intercourse illegal. Gay men and women in Delhi no longer face the threat of criminal prosecution.
4) In addition, India also struck down the "Immoral Traffic Prevention Bill," which would have criminalized the purchase of services from sex workers. Indian NGO SANGRAM did amazing work to fight against sex worker stigma.
5) Yemen has passed a new law which sets the minimum age of marriage for both girls and boys at 17. This bill was passed after the tragic news of a Yemeni child bride who died in childbirth at age 12.
6) I know this never happened in real life...but I like it anyways...Oh, Obama. Even though the U.S. health care bill has been tragically diluted, I still like you.
Happy 2010, everyone. And if you're looking for more ways to get involved with your community in 2010, check out here, here, here, here, here, and here (to name only a few). So volunteer at your local women's shelters, check out soup kitchens and food banks, write some letters, talk to your friends, and most importantly, be safe, be happy, be healthy, and spread some love and peace.